Orthoses for Immobilization and Mobilization
27 West 23rd Street NY, NY 10010
27 West 23rd Street NY, NY 10010
Touro College SHS and Orfit have teamed up to present an orthotic fabrication workshop featuring immobilization and mobilization orthoses of the upper extremity. Attendees will earn 0.8 CEU's and Touro Alumni receive a $50 discount.
This all-day splinting workshop is appropriate for OT’s, COTA’s, PT’s, PTA’s and CHT’s working with an upper extremity patient caseload and possessing intermediate splinting skills.
The workshop format includes a power point presentation on the principles of immobilization and mobilization orthotic fabrication followed by demonstration and hands on lab time. Participants will make every orthosis on the program and practice unique and creative designs and techniques. Attendees will earn 0.8 CEU's and make multiple creative orthoses for immediate application in the clinic.
The instructor for this workshop is Debby Schwartz, OTD, OTR/L, CHT, a hand therapist with over 34 years of experience as a practicing clinician. She joined Orfit Industries America to promote product awareness and excellence in orthotic fabrication education. Debby earned her doctorate from Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions in 2010 and is an adjunct professor in the Occupational Therapy department at Touro College, NY.
The fee for this course is $275
Our Alumni and Clinical Instructors receive a $50 discount! Please use the code "Touro50" at checkout.
Space is limited, Register Today!
Registration begins at 7:30am
Program begins at 8:00am and concludes at 5:00pm. (Lunch is on your own)
- Power Point Presentation: Orthoses for Mobilization
- Demonstration and hands on fabrication of the following:
- Dorsal Wrist Orthosis with outriggers
- Dynamic Finger Extension Assist Orthosis with coils
- Anti- Ulnar Drift Orthosis
- Static Progressive Wrist Flexion/ Extension Orthosis
- Short Opponens Orthosis
- Relative Motion Orthosis
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize indications, precautions and contraindications for immobilization and mobilization orthoses of the upper extremity
- Compare and contrast outrigger designs of mobilization splints.
- Analyze mechanical properties required to fabricate low temperature thermoplastic immobilization and mobilization orthoses for the upper extremity.
- Identify important anatomical structures and landmarks of the upper extremity.
- Analyze key characteristics of different types of orthoses and appropriate applications.
- Learn to critique and assess different characteristics of low temperature thermoplastic materials.
Orfit is an Approved Provider of Continuing Education by The American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. Check out www.orfit.com for information on all Orfit Industries thermoplastic materials. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Cancellation policy: Touro College School of Health Sciences (SHS) reserves the right to cancel the course if fewer than 10 participants register and will return all payments. In the event of cancellation, SHS will offer a full refund within two weeks of notice of cancellation. SHS is not responsible for reimbursement for any travel related expenses. Participants must also notify SHS regarding cancellation of registration no less than 14 days prior to the workshop for a full refund less $75.00 administrative fees.