If you're a licensed physical therapist, looking to expand your clinical skills and prepare for a leadership role in the field, this is a good program for you. Compassionate and caring physical therapists dedicated to lifelong learning and social responsibility, who have demonstrated academic excellence and who meet the admission requirements, are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for the application for admission to the Spring 2018 semester is Nov. 15, 2017. Deadline for the application for admission to the Fall 2018 semester is June 15, 2018. We review each application as it comes in and the class can fill up before the application deadline, so we encourage you to apply early.
How to apply
You apply to our program through the general Touro application. Your application must be submitted along with the accompanying documentation and $50 application fee.
A personal interview with the director and the assistant director of the Post-Professional DPT program may be requested by the applicant but is not required.
What you need to apply
These items will need to accompany your application:
- Proof of current and valid US physical therapy license.
- Official transcript from the academic institution that granted your physical therapy degree
- Two letters of recommendation from physical therapists (submitted through the online application)
- Documentation of employment in a physical therapy setting by the start of the program
- Current resume / curriculum vitae
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for international students who attended institutions where English was not the language of instruction. Score must be at least 560 (paper-based), 220 (computer-based), or 83 (internet-based)
- For foreign-trained applicants, official course-by-course Foreign Credit Evaluation from FCCPT or a member of NACES showing proof of physical therapy degree. If you have any questions, you can contact international student services.
- Applicants with F-1 visa must register for a minimum of 9 credits per semester and obtain a CPT authorization every semester that will allow them to work during the course of the program.
Applicants are advised that in order to register for classes they will need to provide New York State-required proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella, and file the Meningococcal Response Form.
Accepted students may be eligible to transfer up to 8 graduate credits from another graduate school. Eligibility of previous graduate courses for either core or elective requirements will be assessed by the director of the program. All decisions are final.
Accepted students are also eligible to receive up to 4 ‘life experience’ credits. These credits are based on such things as work experience, administrative background and clinical certifications. Life experience credits are assessed and granted through the evaluation of a submitted Portfolio. The Portfolio fee is $1200.
Accepted students are permitted to ‘test out’ of one elective course only. If a student has taken a continuing education course equivalent to an elective course in the P-DPT curriculum, and wishes to receive a grade and credit for that course, s/he may opt to ‘test out’ of the elective course. The fee for that test is $400.