Orthotic Fabrication Workshop
320 West 31st Street, NY, NY 10001
320 West 31st Street, NY, NY 10001
Touro College SHS and Orfit have teamed up to present an orthotic fabrication workshop featuring mobilization orthoses for the upper extremity. Attendees will earn 0.8 CEU's.
This all-day workshop is appropriate for OT's COTA's, PT's, PTA's and CHT's working with an upper extremity patient caseload and possessing intermediate splinting skills.
The workshop format: A power point presentation, splinting demonstration, and hands-on fabrication of splints will guarantee achievement of learning objectives.
The fee for this course is $300
Our Alumni and recent Fieldwork Coordinators receive a $50 discount when you use the code ORFIT50!
Space is limited, Register today!
Program begins at 8:30am and concludes at 4:30pm. (Lunch is on your own)
• Orthotic Fabrication Powerpoint Presentation
Demonstration and Fabrication of the following:
• Dynamic Extensor Tendon Orthosis with Orfitubes
• Low Profile Radial Nerve Palsy Orthosis
• Static Progressive Stiff Finger Flexion Orthosis
• Short Opponens orthosis
• Anti-Ulnar Drift Orthosis
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize indications, precautions and contraindications for orthoses of the upper extremity
- Analyze mechanical properties required to fabricate low temperature thermoplastic immobilization and mobilization orthoses for the upper extremity.
- Identify important anatomical structures and landmarks of the upper extremity.
- Analyze key characteristics of different types of orthoses and appropriate applications.
- Develop skills necessary to successfully fabricate and fit orthoses using several different orthoses materials.
- Learn to critique and assess different characteristics of low temperature thermoplastic materials.
A certificate of attendance will be issued to all participants completing the CEU requirements. 0.8 CEU’s for one day This splinting workshop meets Criteria “A” for hand therapy certification and is accepted by NBCOT and most state OT boards.
Debby Schwartz is a hand therapist with over 33 years of experience as a practicing clinician. She joined Orfit Industries America to promote product awareness and splinting education. Debby is an active member of ASHT and participates in IFSHT meetings as well. She has presented on a variety of hand therapy topics both at national and international conferences, and has written a number of articles for hand therapy publications, including a clinical research paper on contrast bath use and a systematic review of joint mobilizations recently published in the Journal of Hand Therapy. Debby completed her Doctorate of Occupational Therapy at Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions. Debby just co-authored a textbook on orthotic fabrication published by SLACK, Inc, entitled Orthotic Design and Fabrication for the Upper Extremity: A Practical Guide.
Orfit is an Approved Provider of Continuing Education by The American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. Check out www.orfit.com for information on all Orfit Industries thermoplastic materials. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Cancellation policy: Touro College School of Health Sciences (SHS) reserves the right to cancel the course if fewer than 10 participants register and will return all payments. In the event of cancellation, SHS will offer a full refund within two weeks of notice of cancellation. SHS is not responsible for reimbursement for any travel related expenses. Participants must also notify SHS regarding cancellation of registration no less than 14 days prior to the workshop for a full refund less $75.00 administrative fees.