Mission & Goals
In keeping with the mission of Touro College and the School of Health Sciences, and inconsideration of the American Physical Therapy Association’s mission of physical therapist professional education, the mission of the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program is to:
Provide a physical therapy program for individuals from diverse cultural, traditional, and nontraditional backgrounds that fosters academic excellence, scholarly achievement and professionalism based on a foundation of ethical, legal and humanistic values.
Develop competent and reflective physical therapists capable of serving patients and clients of diverse backgrounds across the lifespan and throughout the continuum of care utilizing an evidence-based approach.
Produce graduates who value critical inquiry in the pursuit of lifelong education to meet the ever changing demands of the healthcare environment and contribute to society by assuming the multifaceted roles of clinical practitioner, teacher, researcher, consultant, administrator and leader
Goals and Objectives
Physical Therapy Program Goals:
- Promote academic excellence and support teaching, learning, and professional growth of students and faculty in a caring environment.
- Maintain a qualified faculty with depth and breadth of expertise and adequate resources to consistently offer a curriculum that is evidence based, and reflects contemporary physical therapy practice within an ever-changing healthcare environment.
- Provide entry-level and post-professional programs which offer educational opportunities for continued professional development and career growth.
- Continually assess, develop, and improve the programs offered.
Physical Therapy Faculty Goals:
- Faculty will be experienced and knowledgeable in contemporary physical therapy practice and will be effective educators who continue to develop their professional competence as teachers.
- Faculty will engage in scholarship and service to advance the profession and inform their teaching.
Physical Therapy Student Goals:
At the completion of the program, graduates will
1. EMBODY THE CORE VALUES OF THE PHYSICAL THERAPY PROFESSION
- Adhere to professional ethical and legal standards, exhibit behaviors consistent with laws and regulations and practice in a manner consistent with the professional code of ethics and standards of practice
- Demonstrate caring, compassion, and altruism in delivery of health care to patients and clients of diverse backgrounds across the lifespan and throughout the continuum of care
- Consistently use effective oral written and nonverbal communication and appropriate interpersonal skills to interact effectively and in a professional and culturally-competent manner with patients/clients, caregivers, families, members of the health care team, consumers, payers and policy makers
- Serve the profession of physical therapy by participating in professional organization activities within and beyond the practice setting, and advocating for the profession
- Demonstrate social responsibility by advocating for patient needs, participating in community volunteerism and promoting wellness and preventative health care across the lifespan
2. DEMONSTRATE THE SKILLS NECESSARY TO PRACTICE AS A SAFE AND COMPETENT ENTRY LEVEL THERAPIST
- Efficiently and effectively determine the needs of the patient/client by performance of screenings and examinations, evaluation of findings, and determination of a diagnosis and prognosis
- Efficiently and effectively develop, implement and modify a plan of care by establishing realistic patient/client goals and outcomes, including interventions that are safe and effective, realistic, and culturally competent
- Utilize valid and reliable outcome measures when appropriate
- Practice patient-centered physical therapy with an evidence-based approach synthesizing self-reflection, scholarly evidence and clinical judgment.
- Effectively educate others.
3. DEMONSTRATE A COMMITMENT TO HIS/HER OWN PROFESSIONAL GROWTH
- Seek opportunities for advancement of knowledge and skills through lifelong Learning
- Seek opportunities for career advancement and leadership roles